Fertility, Pregnancy & Postpartum
Fertility, Pregnancy, Postpartum
Trying to conceive?
When Should Treatment Begin?
Female Fertility Support
Acupuncture has been clinically proven to:
- Regulate menstrual cycles
- Improve the functions of the ovaries to produce higher quality of eggs
- Regulate the hormones to produce a larger number of follicles
- Increase blood flow to the uterus and increase the thickness of the uterine lining
- Increase chance of conceiving
- Enhance the chances of successful implantation
- Decrease chance of miscarriage
- Promote relaxation
- Strengthen the immune system
- Improve quality of sleep and increase energy
I understand that conception is not easy for all couples, and fertility issues are at the forefront of reproductive health. If you are having difficulty conceiving, maintaining a pregnancy, or have a fertility related diagnosis, we offer treatment options.
TCM has been used to enhance fertility in men and women for centuries. Recently, studies have provided evidence that acupuncture and herbal medicine can increase blood flow to the ovaries and uterus, stimulate ovulation in women, and can help increase sperm concentration and motility in men.
I have experienced firsthand how strongly acupuncture can positively influence the reproductive and endocrine systems. I have had the pleasure of helping many couples get pregnant, stay pregnant, and have a happy and healthy baby.
During your visits, I take time to listen to your specific needs and goals. My approach is to identify and treat the root cause of your infertility and to support and address your health on all levels.
Common Fertility Disorders Treated Are:
- Elevated follicle stimulating hormone (FSH)
- Luteal Phase Defect (LPD) and decreased progesterone
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Irregular and non-ovulatory menstrual cycles
- Thin endometrium
- Ovarian cysts & uterine fibroids
- Recurrent miscarriages
- Spasmed uterine tubes
- Poor egg quality
- Advanced maternal age
- Idiopathic (unexplained) infertility
- Secondary infertility
Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART)
The Pre-Embryo and Post-Embryo Transfer Treatments:
Acupuncture greatly improves the success of a pregnancy by:
- Significantly reducing stress associated with the fertility process
- Regulating the menstrual cycle
- Improving the quality and quantity of follicles
- Improving the thickness of the uterine lining
- Increasing blood flow to the uterus and ovaries
- Increasing the chance of implantation
- Preventing uterine contraction post IVF embryo transfer
- Decreasing the chance of miscarriage
- Reducing the side-effects of IVF medications
- Improving male factor — volume, motility and morphology
A healthy pregnancy involves the health of both partners, so I encourage men to also participate in boosting their health, and in return their fertility. Infertility affects both men and women in equal proportion.
Male fertility is commonly due to low sperm production, misshapen or immobile sperm, or blockages that prevent the delivery of sperm. Illnesses, injuries, chronic health problems, lifestyle choices and other factors can play a role in causing male infertility.
My goal is to balance your health and to improve your semen quality. This is crucial, because it takes about 65 days for a male to create and mature sperm. During preconception treatments, we focus on nutrition and lifestyle modifications and often use supplements and herbal medicine to improve sperm quality and overall wellbeing.
- Gestational Diabetes (sugar handling support)
- Nausea, Morning sickness & Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Pain: low back, hips, sciatica
- Premature & Overdue Labor
- Swelling & Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Varicose veins
Labor Preparation Support
Pre-birth acupuncture is a series of 4 – 6 treatments beginning at week 36, to help prepare your body to go into labor on time and reduce complications. It is not labor induction; the baby is in control of his or her arrival date.
Studies show pre-birth acupuncture reduces the need for epidurals, emergency Caesarean sections, and reduces the time you spend in active labor, increasing the odds of a vaginal birth.
We can even use acupuncture to encourage breech babies to turn!
- Postpartum anxiety & depression
- Hormone regulation
- Insufficient lactation
- Pain and scar tissue repair
Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
The pelvic floor refers to the muscles and ligaments that attach on the pelvis and support the abdomen. These muscles control bladder and bowel function. The symptoms of pelvic floor dysfunction vary for different people. It is estimated that one-quarter of US women are affected by pelvic floor disorders. They often include pain in the perineal region, pain with sexual intercourse, tail bone or groin pain. Pelvic floor dysfunction can also be linked to issues such as incontinence, constipation and infertility.
Pelvic floor dysfunction can result from a perfectly normal pregnancy and childbirth. It can also be related to pelvic infections, low back pain, surgery, weakened or tight pelvic muscles. Inactive, weak, or tight muscles can be activated and released with gentle acupuncture stimulation, this creates direct communication between the pelvic floor muscles and the central nervous system, allowing for the neural reintegration and readjustment of your muscles, thus reducing pain signals.
If you have any of these signs and symptoms associated with pelvic floor dysfunction, we can help:
- Bowel strain or constipation
- Discomfort during sexual intercourse
- Muscle spasms in the pelvis
- Pain “down there”
- Pressure in the pelvis region or rectum
- Urinary issues (incontinence, painful, urgent, or incomplete urination)